ANDREA In a nutshell
I was born into a farming family in North Germany – hence my love of plants…. As long as I can remember l have enjoyed exploring new horizons, literally and metaphorically, often with trepidation, overcoming insecurities and a lack of resources.
So far I have worked with refugees in Africa, co-founded an NGO, worked in strategic HR, carried out academic research projects and lectured university students. Along the way I have gained professional qualifications, graduated from universities, published a book, chapters and articles. Ah, yes, I am also married to Richard!
Now I work with a small team through Saling2012Ltd., assisting leaders and potential leaders from different cultural and social backgrounds in reaching their potential.
What does that mean?
Each person and each situation differs, therefore I am certified and experienced to use a toolkit of techniques drawing on accredited networks, each placing people at the centre:
- Authentic Business Solutions facilitates transformational change for individual leaders, their teams and their organisations (2020). I am an accredited Consultant.
- Conversations are key to every relationship and I am an Enhanced Conversational Intelligence Practitioner C-IQ supported by WBECS (2017)
- Through a Postgraduate Cert. in Teaching & Learning for Higher Education with Distinction I apply techniques tailored to the individual (2012)
- 2005 PhD: University of East Anglia, International Development Title: ‘Internationally Qualified Migrant Nurses in British Health Care Employment: their motivation, integration and contribution to capacity.’ ESRC Studentship grant.
- 2000 MSc Industrial Relations and Personnel Management & MCIPD: London School of Economics
- 1996 MSc International Health: Queen Margaret Univ., Edinburgh
My professional associations include: AB (Authentic Business Solutions); C-IQ (Conversational Intelligence); HEA (Higher Education Academy); BSA (British Sociological Association); CIPD (Institute of Personnel and Development) – I hold Chartered MCIPD status; wbecs (world business executive coach summit); DSA (Development Studies Group)
Since I love exploring, I am also doing some fun things outside work: I hate gyms…. so, this winter I am using an ebike to get further on some country lanes. Last year I learnt to use an SUP (stand-up-paddleboard) which I added to my kayak – both are great and easy on the sea and rivers. Further afield I sail a small yacht with my husband and since we are equally qualified, we enjoy confusing people by saying that we are both the ‘captain.’ In reality, we complement each other (on good days anyway…). I also love to be creative and enjoy beauty in art and our surroundings. Above all, I engage with community through fundraising events, the church, over meals & drinks and as editor of a local magazine.
This cactus was a gift from a friend some 30+ years ago and only recently has it rewarded my TLC by presenting beautiful flowers – there is a lesson here about patience, perseverance and timing!